Sunday, August 26, 2007
This is a chance for you to say it out loud. (fyi, this was the 1st question asked to all the 500 candidates who had applied to be in THE FIRM). Who knows, if there will be second season, you might be shortlisted for giving the best answer.
The Show is also about sharing experience and to offer guidance to individual in the corporate world on survivor and leadership. What have you learn from the show?
Lets not forget about them.
With Maximum of 5 words (can be a phrase or invidual words), please describe each of the contestants with regard to their leadership and personality.
Dr. Jahar :
Keng Teck :
Joel is the winner.
Does he has what it takes to be in THE FIRM?
Ernie might not have won, but do you think he will do better than everyone else in THE FIRM?
Ultimately, who is the better leader? A leader that you will rather work for or work with irregardless of whether he or she is the winner in The Firm! You can name all the other contestants too. Please tell us why ok?
Saturday, August 25, 2007
This blog has attracted more than 1,500 unique visitors and more than 3,000 page visits.
Tomorrow will be the last episode of The Firm but will not be the end of the discussion. Do continue to come back as there will be more exciting updates, news or even special appearance to this blog.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Last week, there were a lot of dramas and challenges faced by Joel and Ernie. Before the show ends, Joel's carpet came in BLACK instead of LIGHT BLUE. Everyone was shocked!
Let us Guess!
Will Joel get his Light Blue Carpet at the end of the day?
Will there be proceeding with the black carpet?
How and what will Joel or his team member do to solve the problem?
Come on guys and girls!! Let us guess what will happen?
Will Joel put the blame on Keng Teck again?
Could it be Angeline who saved the day / night?
Will Anrie or Joel come out with creative ideas to turn problems into opportunities?
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Joel and Ernie were the top finalist for THE FIRM. The Youngest vs The Oldest of all contestants. All other contestants were brought back to assist them in their final task except Khai who can't make it due to work engagement.
Team members include Keng Teck (who always argue with him), Anrie (his best supporter) and Angeline (the one he responsible for her elimination).
The task is to organise a celebrity fashion show at One Utama shopping complex. Key partners for the event include Olay White Radiance (Main Sponsor), Island Shop (Apparel sponsor) and Rotary Club (beneficiary of the charity fund).
Non-stop Excitement / Drama
- Joel got the wrong message on what brand to be promoted. Instead of Olay White Radiance, Joel thought that the main sponsor is Olay. Thus, the confusion in terms of color and the concept to bring out the brand message. Olay White Radiance was not happy with the concept proposed as they can't see how their brand is being incorporated to the brand. How could Joel make such big mistake?
- Preparation and negotiation with Island shop was not smooth at all. Firstly, it was a mess during the fitting session where the celebrity had to wait for such a long time for their turn, the fitting was wrong in terms of concept as well. There was communication brekdown between Joel and Island shop where both have their own idea on the type of outfit for the show. Why was it not communicated before? This is the one of the most improtant element of a fashion show. Has Joel done enough or well? In addition to the above problem, Angeline's pro-activeness brought in negative impact leading to the lost of space for make up area. Was it really Angeline's fault or Joel's excuse for not be able to negotiate for the make up area?
- Angeline is responsible for charity programmes. However, when is time for Angeline to meet up SPCA, Joel requested Keng Teck to follow her to ensure she says the right thing. Was that necessary? Is it right to delegate a task to a person but does not trust her doing it well?
- Finally, the carpet issue! Ordered Light blue but came Black. It was midnight and the next days will be the fashion show. What went wrong? Keng Teck was responsible for settings and tried his best to solve it calmly whilst Joel was speeechless. Actually everyone was shocked! Will there be an event the next day? If continue to use the black carpet, will that lead to a lost in the task?
Team members include Lin (hates Ernie's guts), Carmen (the so called emotional one), Ivan (closest team member to Ernie) and Dr. Jahar (the "where is the Jahar?")
The Task is to organise a Movie Premiere at GSC Mid Valley. Key Partners include GSC (The Cinema), Pringles (Main Sponsor) and Kiwanis Club (beneficiary of the charity fund)
I lead, You execute
- Ernie always knows what to do and hands on. During brainstorming or should i call it delegation session, it felt like 1 way communications. His team members were just merely taking instructions. Has ernie maximised his team's skills and experience?
- Lin and Ernie were still not in good terms. Shouldn't they forget the pass and move forward? Lin is here to help Ernie, shouldn't he be grateful? On the other hand, since Lin is willing to comeback and help, why still have that anger on Ernie?
- Movie without Popcorn and drinks! During discussion with GSC representatives, Ernie insisted that the drinks and popcorns were not as important as others with the reason of limited budget or the price of it is too high. Do you think Ernie do not like to take orders as what Ivan mentioned or is it part of his strategy to get GSC to sponsor the drinks?
- Pringles for all in the Cinema. Ivan suggested pringles in diffrent bowls but did not thought of labeling it to ease their guest identifying the flavours. Who knows what brand of potato chips are they eating? Where is the branding for their main sponsor?
- Ernie only offered 2 tickets for their main sponsor. 2 tickets? would that be too few? Adding that the sponsor actually requested for more! Should Ernie be offering more tickets to their main sponsor?
- This movie premiere is certianly a glamorous one. Usherer with REAL , BRANDED diamonds all over. While the guys were busy moving all the stuff and setting up the place, the girls went to "The Carat Club" to choose their diamond accessories to look good for the night. Wonder who is the boss of The Carat Club? hmmm?!!!! Was it neccessary? What went wrong here? Ernie did not delegated any task to them or the girls thinks that looking great is more important than ensuring the movie premiere is all smoothly organised?
What will be the additional surprises in the Finale? Both of them eliminated? Both of them hired? Someone who was eliminated being brought back to be one of the chellenger?
It is just becoming more exciting! Make sure you comment here and get yourselves some Pringles ready on Sunday 9pm.
Sunday, August 12, 2007
One of the most interesting episodes. Despite Joel won the challenge with the highest profit, there were no clear winner as there were too many variables in this task. So what happened?
Every contestant were given RM 500 and 3 days to set up stalls at Hartamas Shopping Centre Flea Market. Each of the stalls cost only RM40. RM 500 will be deducted from your profit whether you use the money or not. The contestant who earn the highest profit will win the task.
Joel - A very clever and creative guy. He came out with the concept of sub-renting the stalls 10x higher than his cost by promising an effective marketing platform namely - The Mezzanine. He printed some brochures, hired some promoters, organise lucky draw etc. Nevertheless, did he do a good job in delivering his promise? Some of the tenants were unhappy of what it turned out to be and what was promised. People did pass by but was it because of his marketing effort or just window shoppers to the flea market?
Joel won the challenge with the highest profit. Even without selling anything, he has already won the challenge. Does he deserve to be the winner of the task?
Ernie - The street wise experience businessman who knows what works and what don't. Selling antiques, accessories, clothing with high margin. Knows when to give discount and know when to increase the price too. He managed to get the second highest profit.
Anrie - The young vibrant and flexible girl with entrepreneur spirit that dare to take risk. Other than selling some accessories, plants and some children clothing, she tried her luck on "Rent a Tune". Hmm! Is it co-incidence that the new CEO is from Tunemoney? hehe! just a joke. It was a great risk but he did managed to convince few customers to actually buy her service. Sadly, her performance was not better than Joel and Ernie.
Keng Teck - The man with great strategies and focus in delivering his tasks but not in this time. On the day the task were given, his wife was ready to deliver their 1st baby. Wasting no time, he rushed to the hospital, accompanied his wife throughout the whole delivery process and lost 2 preparation days. With his wife and baby on his mind all the time, he lost focus but yet to give up. He tried his best to do what he can within a day.
Finally he managed to get hold on the chocolate deep, baby gift box and handbags to be sold. Luck was not on his side when the chocolate was not ready when the flea market opens.
For the first time, this tough and "LOUD guy" expressed his emotion and came down with tears when given the chance to talk infront of the camera to his wife and baby. Touching or as emotional as Carmen? Result was announced, Keng Teck made a lost.
Joel as the winner automatically made his way to the next task. Ernie, Anrie and Keng Teck was interviewed individually by Tengku Zafrul.
Surely it was a surprising scene to many that Ernie the Guru of confidence were being challenged by Tengku Zafrul on several occassion until he can't say anything. Never seen him gone through such situation before.
Anrie as usual very dynamic in her response to Tengku Zafrul's questions especially when asked what she thinks about Ernie. Female can be very fierce when pushed to the limit. Both Keng Teck and Anrie think that he is hard to work with. As for herself, she maintained that she has alot to offer. Nevertheless, she still always use the word "I think" which demonstate lack of confidence.
Guessed Keng Teck already knew that he will be the one terminated as he was the only one who made a lost. He placed his family as priority and claimed that he should stay in the firm because he did not give up and end his defence with "I might have lost a battle but I have not lost a war"
Another twist! 2 contestants are to be terminated this week. Good bye Anrie and Keng Teck!
A performing leader for series of tasks or a winner in a single task should be in "The Firm"? If you were Tengku Zafrul, would you decide differently?
Joel won the task but disappointed his customers. Does that make him a good leader?
Ernie has been a leading and performing contestant. Despite occasionally over confident, he did perform consistently. Shouldn't he be acknowledged for his performance in selling with the most profit (selling real goods)?
Anrie was given the 2nd chance and did progress to be a more confident person. She has talent, energy and much more to offer. Shouldn't she be given a chance to prove herself?
Keng Teck made a lost in this task. Do you think that he will out perform others if he need not have to be by the side with his family?
Sunday, August 5, 2007
Another surprise! Peter Pek and Boon Yong has done their job, shortlisted the final 5 to be in The Firm. From now on, Tengku Zafrul, CEO of Tune Money will be the CEO and of course the person who will be terminating some of the contestans. Finally, we know who will the winner be working for! So what do you think of Tengku Zafrul as the CEO of THE FIRM?
The Task :
To decorate a condominium unit's living room of Mont Kiara Aman followed by promoting it to potential buyers. There will be no team leader. Everyone will be working as individuals. The worst team player will leave The Firm (which was only told at the end).
There is no Team Leader
- Everyone would have to work together to achieve the best performance in completing the task
- During brainstroming, everyone state their working styles and had been agreed upon. Again Keng Teck like to challenge ideas!! Good or bad?
- When all are exploring decorative ideas, Keng Teck is one of the most vocal one with his own idea and trying to convince others. Finally, due to unable to justify his points against what has been presented, he respects the team's ideas and decision. Do you think that Keng Teck is really distruptive?
The wrong TV set
- A wrong TV set was sent to the condominium. Carmen was asked why? Both Keng Teck and Joel thinks that Carmen was abit defensive and was little harsh on the supplier. The TV ordered was supposed to be only 32" with speakers but now it is a 42" without speakers. So who cares about the speakers as long as it looks big and nice in the unit. finally the guys decided to just keep it. (scolded by Carmen when discussing as it was too noisy)
- Is it Carmen's fault? Don't think so ! But should she manage the situation better? Is she being defensive as claimed by the 2 guys?
- The girls have used a lot of time to choose the lamps. Finally there was one extra lamp where no one knows where to put it. The decision was made with the knowledge of everyone except Keng Teck. Keng Teck as the appointed Accountant of the task questioned "If we are not going to use, why buy it?". Carmen's opinion was to just keep it if it is not going to be used.
- Is Keng Teck being over concern again? Has Carmen made the right decision to get the lamp and was her rationale acceptable?
Promoting the Unit
- Carmen was explaining and promoting the unit to a potential buyer. Keng TEck then came in (intersect / to support? ) not sure!
- Keng Teck given wrong info on the barbecue space. Yeah! of course Carmen was happy to see that!!
- Carmen can't answer most of the questions posted to her
- Joel and Ernie having challenging time to deal with a difficult customers and sometimes unable to answer his investment questions.
- IS Keng Teck being rude or is he trying to help carmen answering some of the questions posted ? but well, at the end , gave the wrong info!
- Carmen looks like not prepared and doesn't know much of key elements of the units. Shouldn't she be more commited and learn not to rely too much on team members?
- What about Joel? Did not manage to answer few questions but did help out Carmen.
In the boardroom
- The fight between Carmen and Keng Teck. When are they going to stop fighting?
- Keng Teck was pointed out as the worse team players by all as he was loud and sometimes disruptive. Also he is not easy to work with. However, all of them especially Joel and ERnie acknowledge that Keng Teck is a better leader than Carmen because he delivers result.
- Carmen was pointed out as not being committed and prepared for the task. Everyone likes Carmen especially Joel who will surely hire Carmen as a team member but not Keng Teck.
- When asked who should be eliminated? Carmen and Joel voted for Keng Teck while Keng Teck, Ernie and Anrie voted for Carmen.
- Tengku Zafrul is looking for some one who can deliver results and yet a good team member. But when need to choose, deliveing results is far more important. Carmen was terminated.
- If you were Tengku Zafrul , who would you terminate? The one who is focus and deliver results but hard to work with or a person who is so nice and fun to work with but deliver less?
- The task was about Team work. Worst team player will be terminated. Thus, is it fair for Tengku Zafrul to terminate Carmen since she is not the worst team player?
Sunday, July 29, 2007
As Anrie was brought back into the challenge, it is only fair to include her name as one of the potential candidate to be the winner of The Firm. Thus, we need to change the names.
Nevertheless, no chances is allowed to the poll as it has already been voted (according to blogspot).
By no choice, we have deleted the old one and replace it with a new one with Anrie's name.
For those who voted before. Thousands apologies.
As of this morning the votes for "who will be the winner of the firm?" is as follows :
Keng Teck 2
Total 15 votes
Last week, we had a surprise where Joel has been transferred to Team Momentum. This week, we have another surprise. Team momentum with only Carmen and Keng Teck left, will be able to choose one terminated team member back into the challenge. Lucky for Keng Teck as he is not in good terms with Carmen since the last 2 episodes. Now let us observe what actually happens in this episode.
To introduce and to sell as many units of INTEL Core 2 Duo Processor in a designated retail outlet at Plaza Low Yat , Kuala Lumpur. The Team with highest number /units of INTEL Core 2 Duo Wins the task.
Observation : Team Dynamic
Team Dynamic was given a chance to choose a terminated team member back. Anrie whom has been terminated in the 3rd task (Burger King) was brought back to the challenge. Why Anrie? Have they made the right choice? Wouldn't it be wiser to choose an ex Team Dynamic ie Angeline?
In the brainstorming session, Anrie being a new member has contributed a lot of ideas while Keng Teck still as himself giving a lot of deep thoughts. Carmen again was relying very much on her team members idea.
Team Dynamic found out that ThunderMatch was going to organise their opening ceremony. Yahoo! much can be capitlaised on espeically the on-going promotion to pull the crowd in. Their key ideas were going around Low Yat to stick core 2 duo stickers on shoppers, a throw and win game that relates to core 2 duo, offer incentive to staff to sell as much as possible, basic deco and video on Intel Core 2 Duo. Have they done enough? Have they done it well? Was it effective? Did they win beccause of the opneing ceremony or is their effort to bring in higher sales?
Team Dynamic won the challenge but was called back to the boardroom as Peter thinks that they have done a bad job. Among issues brought up were lack of branding, too dependent on the retailer, the game was unpresentable and not much education on Intel core 2 duo. Both Anrie and Carmen pointed at Keng Teck as the one should be eliminated due to the game. Keng Teck fought back with justification that he contributed a lot if not the most and have gone the extra mile to promote Intel core 2 duo and sell some units as well. When asked who should be terminated, Keng Teck maintained that no one should be. Lucky for him, Peter spared all of them with a firm warning! Should anyone of them be terminated? who should be? Is it fair for the 2 girls to get Keng Teck out?
Observation : Team Momentum
Joel got his chance to be a team leader in Team Momentum. They might have thought that they had an advantage but Team Dynamic got themselves antoher creative Team member , Anrie. In addition to that, Team momentum especially Joel was very angry and things that the task given was not fair as Team Dynamic has an advantage given that the retailer has an opening ceremony with many promotions going on despite that it is on the 4th floor. Team momentum got their ALL IT HYPERMART on the 3rd floor. So do you think that it is an unfair task?
In the brainstorming session, Joel was trying very hard to dig into Ivan's mind for creative sales strategy. however not much was contributed. Surprisingly, Ernie was very quiet in this task. Wonder why? Ohh yes, Joel suggested promoters, where are the promoters?
Things weren't going so well when they meet the retailer. Joel found that Ivan was little bit pushy and using the wrong way to communicate. Really? missed that part actually! Waht exactly happen? anyone can share? Maybe Ivan himself can explain!
On task day, Team momentum was all charged up! Ernie again with the microphone drawing crowd (reminds me of The Big Raja, Burger King task). Ivan and Joel was trying to sell. Some of their strategies were low price packages, buy now and get rebate of RM 50, buntings to highlight the event and were they educating customers on Intel Core 2 duo?
Boon Yong caught Ivan in action during his sales. He was having problem serving a customer. But he is supposed to be the King of Sales! So what happen here?
In the boardroom, it was an easy decision for Boon Yong. Joel again came out with creative way in promoting sales, Ernie was the most hardworking one and of course maximising his LOUD voice. Who's left? Ivan. Does Ivan deserve to be terminated? If not him, who should be?
Note from Blog owner :
My apologies for not being to give you every detail as I was watching it in my friend's house with the presence of some of his guest. Can't really focus. Thus, missed out some scene. All is welcome to tell us what did i missed out!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
From now on, everyone can :
Vote for : Who's your favorite contestant in THE FIRM?
Vote for : Who will be terminated in the next episode?
Vote for : Who will be the winner of "The Firm"?
Sunday, July 22, 2007
To enhance Gillette website. Both team will be expected to enhance the website to engage with online users. At the same time, will need to convey Gilltte's brand message of look good and feel good. The team with the most creative and engaging website wins!
Observation : Team Dynamic
Keng Teck was selected to be a team leader again. There was a twist in this episode where Team momentum got to choose a member from Team Dynamic to join them. Ivan & Ernie chosed Joel (why do they choose Joel?We know why they did not choose Jahar!).
Carmen was tremendously sad when Joel left the team. Can't contribute much nor can she be focused and contributing as much as she should have be. (Why is this happening ? Not contributing because of Joel or because that Keng Teck was fighting against her last task and this is the time for revenge?)
Keng Teck had a different leadership style this time. Not as firm as before and claimed to be not that focus by Peter. Jahar not satisfied with Keng Teck leadership whilst Carmen don't like him as a person. (So, what happen here? Keng Teck changed or weak or too tired after so many arguments in previoius tasks?. Also, does Jahar and carmen's comment justified?)
The team's idea was not that creative. Joel's absence might be contributed to that but Keng Teck was taking the safe move as he might have known that he can't compete with Joel's young an dynamic creativity?
Team Dynamic lost the task. All back in board room. This time, Keng Teck has turned the odds. Being a team leader for lossing team and was not eliminated. In addition, he was excused and left Jahar and Carmen to fight for their rights to stay in The Firm. (Did Peter make the right choice not even to get Keng Teck into the bottom 2? Do you think that Keng Teck should be eliminated? why?). Carmen was targetted because of being emotional and have not gave herbest to her team. Jahar has been noticed that he has not contributed much since task 1. At the end, Jahar was eliminated. (again, should Jahar or Carmen go?why ?)
Observation : Team Momentum
Ivan finally was chosen to be the team leader. Nevertheless, it was Ernie and Joel that were running the show. Be it ideas or execution, both of them contributed much more than Ivan. (Has Ivan able to show his leadership?) .
Come on! let us here from you! what do you think?
Monday, July 16, 2007
To produce a magazine supplement for Silky Girl. The team that produce the most creative magazine supplement wins!
Observation : Team Dynamic
Carmen was the team leader. She was having hard time to bring out of ideas as well as unable to convince the team why she does not like the story telling idea. But at the end, she accepted it. Being the only female, she was also having hard time to manage the 3 vocal guys especially Keng Teck and Joel.
In the preparation stage, Carmen briefed the photographer on the magazine supplement concept and wanted lots of different post. It was surprising to the guys as it was not communicated during the brainstorming.
At the end, all have to think of a new concept. Carmen was taken the lead from Joel most of the time and to some extend ignored the presence of Keng Teck and Jahar.
Joel was the Art Director responsible for the shooting whilst Carmen to decide on which photo to take. Both have disagreement and Carmen wishes so much for Joel to just accept her decision and not maintaining on his own. Dr. Jahar seems like flirting with the girls. It was funny to see how he looks after she saw one of the model bend down to collect something. hahahha.
Was Carmen a good team leader? why?
What makes Team Dynamic win?
Observation : Team Momentum
Lin was the team leader. The star of this episode were Lin and Ernie. Ivan did not appear or do much. Lin was taking slightly longer time than expected to make decision whilst Ernie with bags of ideas and can't wait to for decision to be made. Their supplement was generic with much technical inputs. Even the photographer says that it was boring.
Ernie was the Art Director trying to bring the concept to life but the result was not good enough for Silky Girl.
In the boardroom, when asked by Boon Yong who contributed the least, Lin says Ernie instead of Ivan. Ernie might not have done well in directing the creative but certainly not the least contributing team member. At the end, Lin was terminated !
Do you think Lin is the right team member to be terminated? if not who?
Do you think that Lin made the right decision to go head on with Ernie instead of Ivan?
Was Ernie to be blamed for the defeat since most of the ideas and art direction are from him?
What say you? Lets discuss now!
Saturday, July 14, 2007
To create a new value meal for Burger King. The teams can create any combination from existing ala carte menu and set their own price. The team with highest PROFIT wins!
Observation : Team Dynamic
Joel was the team leader. Joel was not supportive to include Apple Pie as one of the items in the value meal but after much discussion and justification especially by Keng Teck, Joel accepted it. The final decision was to have "The Perfect 10" value meal priced at RM 10nett.
In the preparation stage, Joel spent the whole day with the graphic designer to design leaflet, buntings and banners and left the appointment with burger king branch manager to his team members. With limited time to do printing, Keng Teck was calling Joel to get the status of design. Joel claimed that Keng Teck is very loud and unprofessional plus a horrible team member whilst Keng Teck claimed that Joel did not lead well. How can anyone forget about Dr. Jahar? He was the sandwich man of the day.
Has Joel perform well as a good team leader especially strategy, operation and managing his team members?
Do you think that Joel is right on what he says about Keng Teck?
On the other hand, did Keng Teck make the right choice to challenge Joel so as to get better result?
Observation : Team Momentum
Anrie was the team leader. In the brainstorming session, Ernie again was the most prominent player. After much argument between Lin and Ernie, Anrie took Ernie's Idea of "Big Raja value meal" selling at the price of RM 12.95++.
In Team Momentum, there were less disagreement and everyone is working well with each other. Ernie's role as the King has been the most crucial aspect to bring in the crowd but whether it converted into sales of the new value meal is still in doubt. Their key promotional strategy was to offer a chance to win a SPA package and also offer rebate coupon. Ivan was again commented by Boon Yong that he could be more enthusiastic. Team Momentum was very confident that they will win.
Team Momentum lost. In the boardroom,, Anrie thinks that Ivan can do more. Lin thinks that Ernie might not be as effective as he claimed to be. When asked by Boon Yong who should leave, Anrie hold herself responsible to the lost as she was the team leader.
Anrie is the one who leave Team Momentum.
What went wrong with Team Momentum that leads to their defeat?
Who do you think is the weakiest link in the team?
Does Anrie deserve to leave the team? if not, who should be the one?
Observation : Team Momentum
Thursday, June 28, 2007
To organise the most effective Open Day for Fitness First. The Team that brings in the most guests and run the most effective open day, Wins!
Observation : Team Momentum
Looks like one man show by Ernie. Others? Did they really have the opportunity to contribute? Everything was smooth in Team Momentum. The event was great and fun. However, have the team be running the way it should be?
Observation : Team Dynamic
Team Dynamic managed to get almost double walk-in guest than Team Momentum but have they achieve the task objective? Dr. Jahar was the star of the show. Who will not notice him? Is Dr. Jahar a weak leader or too innocent to be leader?
It must be a surprise to all when Angeline was terminated from The Firm instead of Jahar. Has the Corporate Leader - Peter Pek made the right decision? For you, ethics is more important or an efficient leader is more important?
What is your view on both team's performance?
Who should be eliminated?
Who made most sense in the episode?
Friday, June 22, 2007
Friday, June 15, 2007
For those who wanted to watch the opening preview, click here